Why You Need a Personal Website
- July 21, 2020
- Digital Marketing
The post was most recently updated on October 14, 2022.
A personal website is incredibly useful for those pursuing a diverse professional career. Having a personal website to showcase your talents, skills, and best attributes is the best way to help you land your next job, improve your resume, and help recruiters find you online! Here’s exactly why you need a website, and what to include in a personal website to make it stand out.
Should I create a personal website?
You may ask yourself, “why should I make a personal website?”. While it may seem over-the-top or unnecessary, there are many benefits to creating a website for yourself – no matter who you are, or what industry you work in.
Having personal website content is going to be part of the new normal. With more and more resources moving to the digital world, having a high-quality personal website can help you in many different ways, especially when entering back into the job force.
A small investment in your own personal brand helps you improve your own professional brand and gives you the confidence and security you need in a time when it has been challenged.
Gaining control over your brand image and reputation with the help of a personal website helps you create content with a purpose. It is a direct reflection of what you want to look like online – you get put back in the driver’s seat.
If you are a new graduate entering the professional world, you’re considering applying for a job, or even switching your career, having a personal website can skyrocket your success.
4 Reasons Why You Should Create A Personal Website
Here are four no-brainer reasons why you should create a website for yourself:
1 – Get A Leg Up On The Competition
The year 2020 has brought a complete rehaul to the world of business. With an economic shutdown, self-quarantine and social distancing regulations, and the onset of new and improved safety and sanitation protocols, businesses have gone through a whirlwind of change following the impacts of the Covid-19 Pandemic outbreak.
With the excess of business shutdowns and re-opening restrictions, layoffs following have hit an all-time high. When businesses start to reopen, there will coincidentally be a wave of new rehires, bringing a newfound source of competition to finding a new job.
Having a personal website helps tremendously when applying for new jobs online. Your personal website can be used as a professional online business card that creates an immediate and positive brand image for yourself.
Having a professional website helps you stand out from the crowd and show off your best talents and attributes. Sending along a link with your application is a sure way to help impress any hiring manager.
2- Increase Your Likelihood Of Getting A Job
Just like a professional website can help you stand out from the crowd of other job candidates, it can help you impress the person who matters most, aka your hiring manager.
Using your personal website like an online resume can show hiring managers just how impressive your work is, what type of skills you possess, and even better, make a lasting first impression.
Your website will enable hiring managers to trust you, right off the bat – trusting you to take charge, use your creativity, and professional edge to get something done right.
3 – Recruiters Find You Much More Easily
If you’re having a difficult time finding your next job, a personal website can greatly help your chances of getting found online.
Due to the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques of a professionally written and designed personal website, your website is designed to help you get found online. By referencing your skills and experience within the content of your site, recruiters will know exactly what type of position you would be good for. How easy is that? The jobs get filtered directly to your inbox!
4 – Improve Your Online Image
At the end of the day, having a polished, impressive online portfolio, resume, blog, etc. helps improve your overall personal brand and online image. When new recruiters, hiring managers, coworkers, networking opportunities, professors, etc. Google your name and find a professional-looking website, you immediately receive a new level of like-ability and trustworthiness.
Improving your online image can help impress those in your personal and professional online network. Building your own brand online is an easy way to make a lasting impression on those who are looking for more information about who you are and what you have to offer.
What Should A Personal Website Include?
A personal website is a great way to promote yourself and create a professional brand image online. Yes, building a site for yourself can be challenging and time-consuming, but when done correctly, it can make a huge difference.
What should your website include? A good personal website should contain the following:
- A short bio – whether it’s on your homepage, or you create an “about me” page, a bio section provides an opportunity to introduce yourself to recruiters and website visitors. Bios should summarize your career while showing your personality.
- Work examples – a personal website should also function as an online portfolio. What projects have you recently completed that can be shown?
- Social media links – your online presence doesn’t stop at your site. Add social media icon buttons that connect to your profiles, particularly ones that matter, including Twitter, and definitely, LinkedIn. Make it easy to people to get in touch with a contact page that includes social links, a call to action, contact information, and even a contact form.
- A blog – by creating a professional blog, you get the opportunity to share your professional thoughts on topics. Personal blogs allow you to demonstrate your ability to write and elaborate and communicate thoughts.
- Testimonials – Any website can benefit from a testimonial section, and a personal site is no different. Testimonials and recommendations can build trust with people who visit your site. Show off your professional recommendations from past jobs, clients and colleagues.
- A professional tone – setting a website with a professional layout and tone helps you stand out. It makes the purpose of your personal website unmistakably intentional, as a tool to promote yourself as a job candidate.
Get Your Personal Website Found Online Fast
There are plenty of reasons to create a personal website for yourself! No matter who you are or what your reason for creating a website is, a personal site can help showcase who you are.
Professionally made websites by Brand911 are created with the intention of getting your results. Other branding and marketing firms may create a beautiful website, but is it actually making a difference for the client?
With the help of SEO techniques and professional web designers, professional websites are catered to the needs of each client, helping them get the results they are looking for!
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.
Request a free quote
We offer professional SEO services that help websites increase their organic search score drastically in order to compete for the highest rankings even when it comes to highly competitive keywords.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
More from our blogSee all posts
- How To Increase Blog Traffic In 2023 August 15, 2022
- Veterinary Branding: 4 Things You Should Know November 23, 2021
- Brand Refresh: When should you refresh your brand? July 2, 2021
Pingback: Building a Strong Personal Brand in 7 Easy Steps | Brand911